Who We Are
RAAG stands for Retirement Accommodation Action Group and is a working group run by Housing for the Aged Action Group (HAAG) for HAAG members living in different forms of retirement housing.
What is Retirement Housing?
When we say Retirement Housing we mean forms of housing specifically designed and marketed towards older people; that is people aged 50 years and older. (Note: This age limit can vary depending on other factors in a person’s life).
Though we say ‘Retirement Housing’, we understand that many people may not be retired; they may still work full time, part time, volunteer, be carers or have other roles in their community.
What We Do
The members of RAAG have joined together to advocate for the rights of older people living in any form of retirement housing to change the system and make it more fair for retirement housing residents.
From 2011-2017 the RAAG operated as separate groups for residents of Caravan and Residential Parks and Residential Villages and Independent Living Units.
Group Terms Of Reference
To raise awareness of the issues and work towards retirement housing reform to benefit and support older Australians living in retirement accommodation.
Areas of concern given specific attention:
- Advocating for an Ombudsman to handle complaint and dispute resolution processes
- Stop excessive fees e.g. deferred management/ exit fees
- Training and certification of owners/managers/committees overseeing retirement accommodation
- Reducing complexity of contracts
- Safety and security of estate/ villages
Want To Join?
At HAAG, we believe elevating the voices of older people not only honours our heritage, it provides a foundational pillar for all that we do.
RAAG is always looking for new members with diverse experiences living in different forms of retirement housing!
We meet on the third Friday of each month from 11am-1pm. There is a ZOOM and in-person option available each month.
- You must be a member of HAAG. Click here to JOIN!
- You must reside in Victoria.
- You must live in some form of retirement housing, generally covered by the Residential Tenancies Act or the Retirement Villages Act. This includes: a retirement village, residential park, caravan park, rental village, independent living unit. This does not include people living in private rental, home owners or public housing residents. If you are not sure what type of housing you are in then get in touch!
If you are interested please get in touch!